top of page
  • Writer's pictureAhsan Malyk

Can I Get US Car Insurance With A Canadian License?

The majority of insurance firms in the United States provide auto insurance for tourists visiting the country. Nevertheless, you will be required to provide a current driver's license. There is a possibility that your original driver's license may be approved.

However, if not, you can submit an application for an international driving permit (IDP). When shopping for auto insurance in the US, non-American drivers often have the option of acquiring a policy with a term of either 6 or 12 months.

There are certain insurance companies that provide temporary and shorter-term plans. If you are renting a vehicle, the car rental business may provide you with a specified level of insurance coverage. It normally comes at no additional cost.

I have a driver's license that is valid in more than one country; can I still get auto insurance?

You are able to get auto insurance in the US so long as you are in possession of a license that is still active. You also do not absolutely need to hold a license that was granted in the United States.

After coming to the US, it is possible that you will continue using your driver's license issued in your home country. In any case, you have the option of applying for a driving permit valid in many countries (IDP). These countries include the United States as well.

The department of motor vehicles in your home country will make it simple for you to submit an application. An (IDP) is valid for both short-term tourists and long-term expatriates living in the United States. If you're going to be living in the US permanently, you'll need to have a driver's license issued in the US at some point.

There are several insurance firms that only do business with drivers licensed in the United States. However, if you live in the US and have a valid foreign license or an international driver's permit (IDP), a large number of big insurance providers will provide you with auto insurance.

Should travelers staying for a short period of time have insurance?

You have to obtain the minimum amount of liability insurance by the state you will be living in or visiting. It is regardless of whether you intend to make the US your permanent home or are only traveling through.

Whether you own the automobile or are only renting it, you have to have the minimum amount of liability insurance.

How does the process work for purchasing auto insurance when you are a foreigner or an ex-pat?

Car insurance companies in the US only look at your driving history in the US when establishing your premium. So, even if you have been driving for decades in another country, you will likely be considered a new driver.

While traveling around the United States

The quickest and most convenient choice for auto insurance for foreign visitors to the US is to rent a car. In this way, you can get rental car insurance from the business that is providing you with the vehicle. This coverage will be in effect for the duration of your rental agreement.

You are required to have your own car insurance coverage if you are going to be driving a vehicle that is not one that you rented.

Temporary insurance plans are available from many insurers. They cover a shorter time period than standard policies, which typically last either six months or a full year.

If you will be driving for a period of time that is shorter than six months, doing this will enable you to have appropriate insurance coverage.

Relocating to the United States

An international driver's permit (IDP) or a driver's license from their home country will suffice for a permanently moving non-citizen. There is a possibility that the time restriction may change from state to state. However, in general, you will be able to drive with a foreign license for three months and an IDP for a year.

When you get to that point, you'll be able to buy an insurance policy that corresponds to the amount of time you'll be in the country. It can be short-term temporary coverage if you're driving with a license from another country, or an annual policy if you have an international driving permit.

If you want to stay in the US for more than a year, you have to apply for a license. Depending on where you're from, you may be able to take your driver's license from another country to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to have it converted into an American one.

In any other case, you may get a new license by making an appointment with the Department of Motor Vehicles. And then, you'll have to pass a test there.

You might put off getting a license in the US until your IDP is getting near its expiration date. However, if you know you'll be living there for a long time, it's in your best interest to get it.

Arriving in the United States from Canada

If you are driving into the United States from Canada, the restrictions are a little bit different from those in Canada. Your driver's license and insurance in Canada will continue to be valid in the United States while you are there on vacation.

So, there is no need for you to take any further precautions. If you are moving from Canada to the US, you have to register your vehicle with the DMV first.

After you have completed those steps, you will be able to change your Canadian license to an American driver's license. And then, you might as well buy auto insurance in the United States.

Take Away

If you have a home in Canada as your permanent residence, you are exempt from the need to have a driver's license in the United States for up to six months at a time. Because of this, auto insurance is an excellent choice for you.

You need to get a driver's license from the state if you want to remain here for an extended period of time. After you have that, you will be able to purchase car insurance for your vehicle that is valid for a longer period of time.

Once you have determined where you want to settle down, do some research on the DMV website of that state.

1 view0 comments
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page